Sunday, April 29, 2012

Race Recap: Oshkosh Half Marathon Relay 4.22.12

Nothing like posting a race recap a week late. I've been busy, get off my back!

But ohhhh it feels so good to be racing again! The last race I ran was on November 5th at the Tyranena Beer Run 1/2 Marathon. That's almost 6 months of no racing! No wonder I have been feeling that competitive itch lately. (this is not the same itch as the one you feel in your pants sometimes. That's called crabs.)

I did a stupid runner thing and signed up for this half marathon at the height of being injured, hoping I would be better in time to run it. Gotta save money on that early registration! I recovered, but due to lack of training time I was worried about being able to complete the entire half marathon without bonking or hurting myself. Luckily, they offered a relay and my best buddy Kim was also not sure about doing the whole distance for the same reasons. This is how team 'Relay Injured' came to be.

On race day, Kim and I dressed in our super cute matching Skirt Sports skirts and headed out the door bright and early as we had a blogger meet-up scheduled near the starting line:


Jennifer, Kim, moi, Jess, Alicia, Michelle and Sarah 
Thanks, Jess, for the picture!


Since I was running the first leg, I headed to the start line with some friends who were doing the half and after a very congested and discombobulated start mixed with 5k runners and walkers we were off! My plan was to stick around 9-9:30 miles depending on how I felt. After the first mile at 9:07 I decided I felt pretty damn good and kept my pace right around that for the majority of my 6.5 miles.

The first half of the race was run through the UW-Oshkosh campus, a cemetery, and then on the Wiouwash trail before heading back onto residential roads. At about 6.5 Kimmy was eagerly waiting to get started so I handed off the bib and she was off! I ran 6.5 miles in 58:30. (Dang, I really need to race a 10k and get rid of my outdated PR!)

I stuck around the relay exchange for a bit, cheering on all my running friends and then walked back to the finish line so I could run through the chute with Kim. We finished as a team in 1:54:57 which we came to find out later was good enough for 4th place relay team! Not too bad for a couple of gimpy ladies!



Afterwards we stuck around to cheer all our friends on, and they all had really good races! This is the 3rd year I have run this race and while the course is great, the t-shirt this year was pretty ugly and a weird material. Also, the relay teams had to hand off their bibs to each other, which I have never seen before. Kim and I had a good strategy for it, but it's hard to be fumbling with safety pins when you are in a hurry! I'll probably think twice before signing up for it next year. At least we had great weather for it!


Final Stats:

1:54:57
8:46 pace
4/77 Relay Teams




12 comments:

  1. A HM relay? That sounds so fun! You guys were SPEEDY! Congrats on your 4th place finish! Did you both get medals? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowza! You two make a bad ass pairing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two kicked butt! Agree... the shirt went right in the garbage. This race has potential to be so much better with a little tweeks here and there. I like the course and of course price though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done! That sounds so weird about handing off the bib though - I've never seen that before. You guys rock!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely done! That sounds so weird about handing off the bib though - I've never seen that before. You guys rock!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You get that comment twice because you're both awesome, not because I'm an idiot and posted twice. Definitely not that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice race!

    The medal is cool! I had a feeling the shirt would be weird. All my MSE shirts are weird and ugly :)

    Still sad I missed out on this one, though. Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay - you did so well. Love the team name... ha. Queso Runners just doesn't have the same ring to it...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome job! I've never done a relay before, but one time I ran a full marathon with a bandited relay bib, does that count? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice job on coming in 4th!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this sounds awesome! i would love to do a relay like this sometime! congrats on the 4th place finish! you all rocked it!

    also...the handing off of the bib thing sounds super complicated!?!

    ReplyDelete

That's what she said...