I'm certainly no expert, but I've learned a few tricks over the years. I thought maybe they could be useful to other runners who, like me, work in the corporate world. So here they are:
Rachel's 10 Easy Steps for Running on your Lunch Hour
1. Sneak away from your desk at 11:58. Two extra minutes to run!
2. Do a quick change in a ladies room stall. Bonus points if you can score the accessible stall for extra elbow room. Hope that one of those shy poopers hasn't grabbed it first. (Come on - we all know the big stall is the poopin' stall!)
3. Shamefully walk back through your office to drop off your gym bag - you didn't realize you grabbed a red shirt and neon green shorts at 6am! Silently hope that your boss is color blind.
4. Once you escape to the outside, glare at your Garmin (and the tall building you're standing in front of) as it fails to find a satellite. There goes your extra two minutes!
5. Enjoy every blissful moment away from your desk as you run. Who cares about the creepy homeless people in the park and the terrible smell from the garbage truck as it stalks you down the block?
(5a. Avoid running on garbage pick up day. Oy!)
6. Ignore that voice in your head that says you don't have to turn around. Just another .25 out. And then another. Maybe just one more. Realize you've gone too far and curse the unplanned speed work on the way back.
7. Enter your building red faced, sweaty and panting. Hope that security doesn't mistake you for one of the creepy park people.
8. Stealthily collect your gym bag before your well-dressed and non-sweaty coworkers see you. Prepare to battle anyone who tries to get the big stall before you. Imagine how nice life would be if your building had a f*#&ing locker room.
9. Strip naked (except socks...ewww) in the big stall and will yourself to stop sweating. Try to cover up the stench with 5 year old perfume that you wrestled from the bottom of your gym bag.
10. Return to your desk and sit there and sweat. Curse yourself for bringing a lunch that needs to be heated. Tell your growling stomach that it can wait to eat until 2:30...or whenever you stop sweating.
There you have it! Now you too can run on your lunch break, just like me!
Any tips to add to the list?