Thursday, January 9, 2014

Looking Ahead...

The last few months of 2013 were a bit rough on me. I was sick for most of October (cold + sinus infection) and then again for pretty much all of December (influenza that would not go away, which zapped all of my energy). My running and workouts took a hit and I find myself at the beginning of the new year under trained, flabby and over-rested. And slowly going (more) insane.



(If all you saw in that last paragraph is "wahhh wahhh wahh, whine whine whine, my life is so badddddd" then you saw the same thing I did. I can't stand listening to myself complain.)

Luckily there is the energy of a fresh new year and spring racing on the horizon to give me the kick in spandex shorts that I need!

Here's a look at my upcoming racing schedule:

January 25th: Icebreaker Indoor Half Marathon
March 1st: Point Bock Run 5 mile
May 3rd: Wisconsin Half Marathon
May 18: Green Bay Marathon


First thing you may notice (or maybe it's the first thing you read on that list, therefore you noticed it first. Duh.) is that I have a half marathon in two weeks. When I signed up 2+ months ago I had visions of a fast time and possibly a PR thanks to some great winter training. Now, I'm just at the point where I'm hoping I can actually complete 13.1 miles. It's amazing how a solid month on your ass of cramming egg nog and spritz cookies in your face can kill a dream.

If I survive the half I should be great shape though. I'm working on a training plan that should get me some PRs in the other three races as long as all goes well. I'm also going to jump on the bandwagon of posting weekly workout recaps to keep me accountable. I know I wouldn't want to post a recap where my only exercise is lifting a heavy mug of beer to my mouth 30 times. (So much biceps!)

Also, to kick my butt even harder, I joined Run with Jess's Winter Miles Challenge. I challenged myself to run 30 miles/week for the next 8 weeks. I almost went with 20 miles/week, but then I remembered it's called a 'challenge' and not a 'I can probably scrape by with that'.

Okay, so there's the plan. To recap the short-term goals (so my lazy brain sees them in writing one more time):

I will post a weekly recap each week
I will run at least 30 miles each week
I will PR in my three big spring races


There. That should just about do it. Right? Riiiiiight.


Do you have any short-term goals you are working on?
Do you post weekly recaps and if so, do they help keep you accountable?


9 comments:

  1. I do notice that as long as I'm posting workout recaps, I seem to try harder and do more stuff. Not like I want all of my 2 blog readers to be impressed, but it does help me be accountable. But that said, I got bored with posting the same recap week after week, so I switched to a monthly format.

    Hmmm... I guess all of my goals right now are long-term. A smaller goal is weekly speedwork, which will give me my bigger goal of running faster. I hope. Also, super excited for the Wisconsin Half!!!!! Please come and watch me finish once you PR and have a beer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speedwork WILL make you faster. I started PRing all over the place as soon as I added it to my workouts. I can't wait to cheer you on at Wisconsin. You're going to kick butt!

      I like the idea of a monthly recap too. If this weekly deal gets too monotonous, I may eventually switch to that. Right now I think I need the weekly reminder. :)

      Delete
  2. OMG, that graphic. I love it so much. How long do you think I can stare at it before I have brain damage?! Is 30 mins too long? (that is how long I have been going)

    And I love the sarcasm in this post. Aww, it made me miss you! I don't feel like you are whining about being sick though. Man, now that I can especially relate, after having the damn flu, it's just freaking frustrating! There is nothing you can do about it! It's good that this first half will be for fun then you have your goal half at WI! And the 5 miler and the Marathon :)

    I do post weekly recaps! I have been doing it for a long ass time and get so much enjoyment out of it. It makes me excited to work out, take my dorky little pic for the collage, and log it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, I think only Kim is at peak performance right now. Matt has a good chance of PRing in general because he is really fast since the fall but we have all been slacking on our runs. We are doing the long run but those mid week runs are not happening and speed work hasn't happened in so long I can't even remember when the last session was. I needed this though. I needed a down time to reset for full marathon training coming up right after Ice Breaker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't see "blah blah blah". I, like all the others, noticed the cat GIF. Best one ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too was on the eggnog and spritz cookie diet for most of December...wait, are you saying it doesn't make good running fuel? Bummer. :) I'm trying to get back on track this month too. Exciting upcoming race schedule, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah! I did the heatbreaker version of that race a few years ago. It hurt my hip big time from turning the same direction twice every lap. Ouch!

    ReplyDelete

That's what she said...