Wednesday, January 8, 2014

My 'Best of' 2013 in Running


2013 was a pretty good year in running for me. I would love to talk about every single race and successful long run, (and I KNOW you'd love to read it all) but instead I'll just highlight the biggest and best moments.

In chronological order:


February: Dallas

Kim and I were in for a huge surprise when the Alzheimer's Association invited us to speak at their Leadership Summit about our experience with The Longest Day. We got to travel to Dallas, meet so many new people and speak about our passion for running and finding a cure for Alzheimer's disease. It's an experience I will never forget!


Bitches be speechin



April: 4 weekends/4 races

I was able to cram ALL OF THE FUN into April and ran 4 races in 4 weekends:

South Shore 1/2 Marathon on 4/7
Double Down trail 20k on 4/13
Oshkosh 1/2 Marathon on 4/21
Crazylegs 8k on 4/27

The best part of all these races is that I had such wonderful company for all of them. There truly are not many things in life that make me happier than running with my friends. April was also the first month I ever hit 100 miles running. (I'm thinking that 43 miles of racing helped that number)


The Double Down wins for most water crossings!



May: Half and Full Marathon PRs

I wiped out a long standing half marathon PR at the Wisconsin Half Marathon with a 1:57:36 and although I was under trained I was able to knock quite a bit off of my PR at the Green Bay Marathon too. Once again I was in the company of so many wonderful people. (Are you starting to see why I like running so much?)




June: The Longest Day

Kim and I once again had a successful fundraising event for the Alzheimer's Association. With the help of friends and family we raised $5,900 and ran for 90 miles combined on The Longest Day. Everyone that came out to run with us logged over 300 miles throughout the day! Watch out year 3 - here we come!







September: Fox Cities Marathon PR

All of the miles of training logged over the summer culminated in the Fox Cities Marathon. I once again enjoyed running with so many friends, including running the whole marathon with Mattie, and we all came away with new marathon PRs. (4:39:22 for me) It's one of those races where you can't help but smile every time you think about it.




And to just take a peek at my 2013 numbers:



# of Miles - 907

# of Races - 20

Breakdown:
  • 5k - 5
  • 8k - 1
  • 5m - 2
  • 10k - 1
  • 20k - 1 (new distance)
  • Half Marathon - 7
  • Marathon - 2
  • Ultra Marathon - 1
# of States Raced in: 4 - Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Texas(new state)

Favorite Race: It's so hard to choose. If I have to pick based on overall course, logistics, perks and organization then it would be the Green Bay Marathon. You get to run through Lambeau Field! Honorable mention to Fox Cities Marathon, Wisconsin Marathon, North Face Endurance Challenge and Tyranena Half Marathon.



Cheers to another great year of running!


 




5 comments:

  1. What an awesome year! And I got to run SOOOOOO much with you! Back to back in April! Woo hoo! I can't wait to do the South Shore Half with you again... and whatever we decided at NFEC! 50K?!?!?!?!?!

    Congrats on the great PRs in 2013!

    Excited to see what you are up to in 2014! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the "best of". You ran WAY more races than I did (I ran 5 I think). And awesome that you ran so many PR's this year too. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. You've had quite the busy year! I love reading about your Longest Day adventure. Congrats on everything you've accomplished and happy 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome year! So many amazing achievements--way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had a great year of running! I hope this year is just as awesome for you!

    ReplyDelete

That's what she said...